FAQ for Work Injury Patients in Wisconsin

Orthopaedic vs. Orthopedic: What’s the Difference?
Orthopaedic vs. Orthopedic
"Orthopaedic" is the traditional Greek spelling.

Orthopaedics (or “orthopedics”) refers to surgery or treatment of the musculoskeletal system (the bones of your skeleton, muscles, ligaments, joints, tendons, cartilage and tissue). An orthopaedic doctor would treat you for things like degenerative conditions, sports injuries, trauma or tumors.

Why are there two words – Orthopaedic vs. Orthopedic – which refer to the same branch of medicine?

Well, it all goes back to a French doctor. Nicholas Andry was the one who invented the term "orthopaedics." It was a good idea. “Orthos” is the Greek word for "straight." “Paideion” is Greek for "child." In 1741, Andry published Orthopaedia: or, the Art of Correcting and Preventing Deformities in Children. The spelling stuck.

Later on, the common spelling "orthopedics" became more popular in the United States. However, most universities kept the traditional "orthopaedics" spelling. Great Britain does, too. The main professional organization is still the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery.

So if you need medical help for your work-related injury but can’t remember how to spell “Orthopaedic”, just remember both spellings are technically correct.

What Injuries Are Covered by the Law?

The law covers both mental and physical injury from either accidents or occupational diseases. If you work only in one place, such as a factory, store or office, your injury will usually be covered only if it occurs at work. If your work requires travel, you are covered at all times while traveling, including the time you are eating or sleeping, unless you deviate from regular work duties for a private or personal reason.

Generally, worker's compensation benefits must be paid even if the injury was your fault. (See section relating to increased or decreased compensation.)

All compensation and medical payments are based on medical reports from your practitioner. If your practitioner does not make prompt and regular reports to the insurance company or your employer (if self-insured), your payments may be delayed.

Who Is Covered by the WC Law?

More than 98% of Wisconsin workers are covered from the day they start employment. You are covered if your employer usually has three or more full-time or part-time employees. If your employer has fewer than three, but a payroll of $500 or more in any calendar year quarter, the employer must get WC insurance by the 10th day of the month following the end of that quarter.

"Employers" include private, government, non-profit, charitable, family operations, corporations, other legal business entities and certain owner/operators, independent contractors or subcontractors. "Workers" may be full- or part-time, seasonal or minors. Volunteer and domestic workers are excluded. Farm worked are covered only on farms with six or more employees on any 20 days in a calendar year. Worker's compensation coverage is the employer's responsibility. If you have reason to believe your employer is not covered and should be, or if your employer requires you to pay for or purchase your own worker's compensation insurance policy, please contact the Worker's Compensation Division.

Wisconsin Work Injury Doctor Specializes In The Following
Shoulder painShoulder
Elbow painElbow
Carpal tunnel painCarpal Tunnel
Knee painKnee
Ankle painAnkle